- Brand: Vacheron & Constantin
- Made: 1955
- Model: Cioccolatone
- Reference: 4822
- Calibre: 477/1
- Movement: Automatic
- Material: 18ct yellow gold
- Features/complications: Oversized case
- Dial: Silvered dial featuring applied 18ct yellow gold dot outer minute track and arrow shaped hour indices with baton shaped hands with blued steel centre seconds
- Case dimensions: 35.5 x 43.5 mm
- Bracelet/strap: 18ct yellow gold riveted expandable Gay Freres bracelet with deployant clasp
- Accessories: Extract from the Archives
- SKU: 2640
Essay: Vacheron and Constantin is often considered the more flamboyant of the two historical Geneva based brands.
The Vacheron and Constantin, reference 4737 is affectionately nicknamed “Cioccolatone” by collectors due to its resemblance to a square of chocolate and is a master of style, and details on the case and dial are exquisite.
The “Carré galbe” case has a series of fluted character lines which add visual breaks and definition. The movement features the elusive bumper automatic calibre 477/1 which was produced for only 2 short years from 1950-1952
The “Cioccolatone” was made in different versions, with or without date, with different movements and also with an extremely rare full calendar with moonphase model.