- Brand: OMEGA
- Made: 1962
- Model: Speedmaster
- Reference: 2998-6
- Calibre: 321
- Movement: Manual
- Material: Stainless steel
- Features/complications: Chronograph and Tachymetre bezel
- Dial: Black matt dial with luminous painted baton indexes, outer minute/seconds divisions, outermost 1/5 second divisions featuring subsidiary seconds at 9 o’clock, 30 minute register at 3 o’clock and 12 hour register at 6 o’clock with luminous baton hands, and arrowhead centre chronograph seconds
- Case dimensions: 42mm
- Bracelet/strap: Leather strap
- Accessories: Extract from the Archives
- SKU: 02727
Essay: The Speedmaster, reference 2998 was launched by OMEGA in 1959 and was the successor to the reference 2915. The reference 2998 was the first Speedmaster model in space as it was the personal watch of Wally Shirra during the Sigma 7 Mission of the Mercury program in October 1962.
Production of the 2998 continued for approximately three years until 1962 although models were still being delivered in 1963. Small modifications (different bezels, dials and hands) were made to reference 2998 throughout its production period with eight sub-references available. Each modification was defined by the number after the hyphen in the reference number inscribed on the inside of the case back.