- Brand: Cartier
- Circa: 1949
- Model: London Tank
- Reference: Normale
- Calibre: EWC
- Movement: Manual
- Material: 18ct yellow gold
- Features/complications: Sapphire cabochon crown and 18ct yellow gold deployant buckle
- Dial: White dial featuring black printed Roman numeral hour markers with inner minute track and blued steel baton hands
- Case dimensions: 30 x 22mm
- Bracelet/strap: Leather strap
- Accessories: N/A
- Web reference: 2295
Essay: The Cartier Tank Normale was the very first Tank wristwatch, created in 1917 and is the brand's most iconic model. The Tank's name and design pays homage to the Renault FT-17, a French Tank used in the First World War. The first Tank prototype was gifted to the American General John Pershing, in 1918.
The original Tank went on to be known as the Tank Normale and was subsequently offered to the public. The original concept was simple: four lines, with two parallel shafts, allowing the strap to be seamlessly integrated into the case.