- Made: 1970's
- Model: Square
- Reference: 9705
- Calibre: 97B
- Movement: Manual
- Material: 18ct yellow gold
- Features: Oversized case with sapphire cabochon crown
- Dial: Off-white dial featuring black printed Roman numeral hour indices with inner minute track and sword shaped hands
- Case Dimensions: 37 x 32mm
- Bracelet/Strap: Leather strap
- Accessories: 18ct yellow gold deployant buckle
- SKU: 2952
This Cartier Square Gondole Jumbo Paris in 18ct Yellow Gold was Cartier’s answer to the 1970s trend of bold, large-case designs. It is impressive on the wrist and makes the regular Cartier Tank look tiny. The double-stepped bezel helps the watch appear even larger. This "jumbo" model was offered in both 18ct yellow gold and white gold - either in the horizontal orientation seen here as the "TV screen" or a vertical orientation.
Other than the larger case profile, Cartier showed restraint in the Gondole's appearance. The dial is classic white with black Roman numerals and blued steel hands. When a well-known watch design is produced in a larger size, the dial proportion is often missed, but thanks to the brand's meticulous jewellery savoir-faire, Cartier nailed it here. To remain with Cartier's iconic list of design features, the watch's crown is topped by the brand's signature sapphire cabochon.