- Brand: Cartier
- Year: 1970s
- Model: Ellipse
- Reference: N/A
- Calibre: ETA 2512
- Movement: Automatic
- Material: 18ct yellow gold
- Features/complications: Sapphire cabochon crown & deployant buckle
- Dial: Off-white dial featuring black printed Roman numeral hour indices with inner minute track and blued steel sword shaped hands
- Case dimensions: 32 x 23mm
- Bracelet/strap: Leather strap
- Accessories: 18ct yellow gold deployant buckle
- SKU: 2834
Cartier is a brand that has forever been associated with Opulence, class and sophistication.
The company was founded by Louis-François Cartier in 1847 as an ‘Atelier de Haute Joaillerie’ after he took over the workshop of his Master, Adolphe Picard. He was succeeded in 1874 by his own son Alfred who continued to uphold the high standards set down by his father. It was not until 25 years later, in 1899 when Alfred’s three sons took over the business and transformed Cartier into a global luxury brand, opening boutiques in London and New York.
Cartier’s dalliance with horology started in 1904 when Louis Cartier befriended the aviation pioneer Alberto Santos-Dumont. Santos-Dumont complained about the difficulties of checking a pocket watch mid-flight, so Louis Cartier designed a wristwatch with a distinctive flat profile that would henceforth be known as the Cartier Santos-Dumont. This was the first men’s wristwatch made by Cartier and established the foundation of every watch they have produced to this day. It is considered by many to be the pioneer of modern wristwatch design.
Today vintage Cartier collectors have the choice of different designs and models from London, Paris and New York houses.