- Brand: OMEGA
- Made: 1959
- Model: Speedmaster
- Reference: 2915-3
- Calibre: 321
- Movement: Manual
- Material: Stainless steel
- Features/complications: Chronograph and Tachymetre bezel
- Dial: Black matt dial with luminous painted baton indexes, outer minute/seconds divisions, outermost 1/5 second divisions featuring subsidiary seconds at 9 o’clock, 30 minute register at 3 o’clock and 12 hour register at 6 o’clock with luminous baton hands, and arrowhead centre chronograph seconds
- Case dimensions: 39mm
- Bracelet/strap: Leather strap
- Accessories: Extract from the Archives
- SKU: 02938
Essay: The OMEGA Speedmaster reference 2915 was the very first Speedmaster reference produced. The newly designed chronograph was launched in 1957 and remained available until 1959, with a total production run of between 3 and 4,000 pieces only. It was the first chronograph wristwatch to feature an external tachymeter bezel which left the dial less busy and eliminated parallax error by having the chronograph hand level with the bezel script. There were three sub-references made within the two years of production: the 2915-1, -2 and -3.
While the first two iterations had steel base 1000 bezels and broad arrow hands, the 2915-3 was the first speedmaster that would become available with a black Base 1000 tachymeter bezel and luminous Alpha hands. Note the hour hand on the 2915-3 was longer than the reference 2998 that superseded it. This reference was produced in 1959 only and bears movement numbers ranging from 16.648.xxx to 16.649.xxx.