MADE CIRCA: 1894
MATERIAL: 18ct Yellow Gold
MOVEMENT: Manual Mechanical
Not to be confused with the well known American watch brand of today, this particular Hamilton & Co was established in 1808 by Robert Hamilton under the commission of the East India Company and, were a British owned company landmark within Calcutta. With an imposing facade of pedimented windows separated by Ionic pilasters and decorative ironwork adorning the veranda, the three story white building housed a vast space dedicated to jewelry, ceramics, artifacts and more. The magnificent shop was blessed with a large workshop within which the finest artisans dedicated their time to creating wares that were not only exported right across the British Empire but also popular with the British Government, Hamilton & Co having become their official silversmith. It was said that no member of European Royalty would leave India without shopping from Hamilton & Co, understandably so as they were considered no less than Tiffany or Cartier.
Robert Hamilton stepped down in 1817, with his partners the silversmiths Henry and James Glazbrook taking over the business followed by the Cornish born Remfrey family in 1835, the patriarch of the family being John Remfrey – an honorary magistrate and Justice of the Peace.
The prestigious business flourished, with shops opening in other parts of India such as Bombay (1833), Delhi and Simla (1865) however, with many British beginning to leave India and the rise of The Communist Party of India, the shop was forced to shut in 1973.
Hamilton & Co was sold to a close friend and regular client, the Jalan family, who eventually re-opened the shop in Mumbai in 1993 where it continues to be an exclusive retailer of fine silverware.
- French anarchist Martial Bourdin attempts to destroy the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, London, England, with a bomb, killing himself instead.
- Russian emperor Alexander III is succeeded by his son Nicholas II.
- For the first time, Coca-Cola is sold in bottles.